Thanksgiving is almost here! If you’re anything like most Americans, you’ll be sitting down on Thursday to a delicious spread of your family’s traditional Thanksgiving recipes. This can mean a turkey, but it can also mean traditional menu staples from your country of origin or a tweak in the recipe that’s been followed for generations. Whether you put mushrooms or slivered almonds in your green bean casserole, have turkey or ham, cornbread or bread rolls, your feast is sure to be chock full of the foods you love.
In honor of this food-centered holiday, here’s a list of the most outrageous Thanksgiving dinner recipes. These are sure to leave you stuffed!
5. Adding bacon to anything: This first one is a bit of a cheat, since it’s not actually a recipe. But with bacon stuffing, bacon weave apple pie, and putting bacon in vegetables, there’s no shortage of ideas to add bacony calories to your Thanksgiving menu. Another great favorite is to make a leftover sandwich the next day with crispy bacon. It’s not like the vast majority of Thanksgiving dishes are super healthy, and that adding a bit of bacon is a little treat, which is why bacon toppings deserve to be on the list.
4. Candied Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are actually quite healthy, but when they’re topped with brown sugar, butter, and marshmallows the calories just seem to pile on. Not to mention, adding sweetening toppings to sweet potatoes seems a little much.
3. Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding: Paula Deen takes the traditional bread pudding recipe and kicks it up several notches. Two dozen Krispy Kreme donuts, condensed milk, eggs, fruit cocktail and raisins make up the ingredient list on this over-the-top dish. But to really top it off, she recommends covering the whole thing in a rich butter rum sauce, which is loads of butter, sugar, and rum.
2. Cherpumple: Inspired by the Turducken, the Cherpumple is a pie in a pie in a pie in a cake. Made from several different Thanksgiving desserts, the Cherpumple is sure to please everyone (or no one at all). To create this dessert, bake a cherry pie in a white cake, a pumpkin pie in a yellow cake, and an apple pie in a spice cake and combine them together using frosting.
1. The TurBacon: This monstrosity deserves to be the #1 most outlandish Thanksgiving dinner recipe based on number of calories alone. The team from Epic Meal Time has counted more than 50,000 calories in this concoction. The TurBacon, also known as a bird in a bird in a bird in a bird in a bird in a pig, has turkey, duck, chicken, cornish hen, quail, and, of course, immense amounts of bacon, all inside a whole pig, which is topped with even more bacon. Warning: the video is not for the faint-hearted, or the vegetarian.